26 April 2013

Painted Washer Earrings

Here is my first Piece-A-Day post. And actually it's 3 -- pair of earrings.
I've seen similar in a couple places. I own a pair of dangly earrings that are made with twisty little hoops and Venetian glass beads that I bought from an artisan at a festival. Also, the title character on the show Bones wears a similar pair in one episode. (Actually, she wears lots of totally awesome jewelry and I'm constantly taking pics of the tv screen.)

So this is my copper interpretation of the design. I started by punching the copper washers from sheet copper. Then I textured them with my pattern hammer.

The light blue color is Gilders Paste in patina that I brushed on, concentrating on the indented spots, then buffed off the raised areas. The dark blue color is an alcohol ink dropped onto the washers and lightly sanded off. I spray finish my copper to protect the color.

The beads are simple glass and resin beads from my stash accented with little corrugated copper beads. Ear wires are also hand made by me.

Wondering where you can find them? One pair will likely be in my ears (I'm thinking the dark blue, but I haven't decided for sure yet). Another pair will stay in my personal display for sale. The other will become part of the inventory of Copper and Clay Designs. If you're in the Summerville/Charleston, SC area you can see them Saturday at the Italian festival or Sunday at the Blessing of the Fleet.

No comments :

Post a Comment